The State of Virginity

The State of Virginity
I should like you to be free of all worries. The unmarried man is busy with the Lord's affairs, concerned with pleasing the Lord; but the married man is busy with this world's demands and occupied with pleasing his wife. This means he is divided. The virgin - indeed, any unmarried woman - is concerned with things of the Lord, in pursuit of holiness in body and spirit. The married woman, on the other hand, has the cares of this world to absorb her and concerned with pleasing her husband. I am going into this with you for your own good. I have no desire to place restrictions on you, but I do want to promote what is good, what will help you to devote yourselves entirely to the Lord. 1 Corinthians 7:32-35

Saturday, January 2, 2010

IN MEDJUGORJE I FOUND THE MEANING OF EXISTENCE

Last year was a beautiful year for me. So was the year before last. And of course the year 2007 would always remain one of the most memorable years in my life because that was the year I went to Medjugorje. I am not trying to say that I wasn't happy before I went to Medjugorje. My life has always been a comfortable one and I have been enjoying myself all these years. Those who have been to Medjugorje would agree with me that life would never be the same again after our pilgrimage to Medjugorje.

When I came back from Medjugorje, my views about life changed. I am now a much happier person. I have found the meaning of existence at last. When life is so full of meaning, how could I be unhappy? I pray for hours every day now, something I seldom did before my pilgrimage to Medjugorje. Saying the Croatian rosary is really interesting and this is also one of the reasons why I love to pray so much now.

Before I went to Medjugorje, I had a boyfriend. He is one of the most eligible bachelors in town - handsome, rich and well-educated. Somehow I have never considered myself lucky for having such a boyfriend. Obviously, all the girls in town would willingly die for him and although he kept saying that he could be faithful, I just couldn't trust him. After I came back from Medjugorje, I found that I have completely lost interest in him. I wasn't even interested to talk to him again. I consider this a great blessing. I am glad that I have given up on him and I feel happy for him now because he can enjoy himself with all the young girls in town. In a way, I have done him a great favour. Am I sad? I would say that I have no more feelings for him. Perhaps it may also be true to say that I have done myself a great favour. How can a 'diamond bachelor' like him be faithful to only one woman? I don't want to end up being a broken-hearted divorcee. I don't want to give him the chance to ruin my life. It is better to offer myself as a pure and chaste virgin to the Lord before it is too late. Wow! I have all the time in the world for My Lord now. My mind is very peaceful. I have become the happiest person in the world. My life is filled with great excitement and expectations.

I have so many plans for the future and so much to do now that I really don't know what to do first. I want to be actively involved in church activities. I want to pray for hours each day. I want to write articles for this blog. I have to teach my teenage students. I have to write my Ph.D. thesis. Well, maybe this is what really gives meaning to life.

Father Slavko Barbaric has a Ph.D. Pope Benedict XVI has a Ph.D. I must get a Ph.D. too. After getting my Ph.D, I will dedicate all my time to do God's work. There are lots of things that I am going to do for My Lord. Would I have enough time to do all the things I plan to do for my Lord? Oh dear! Life is too short.

Being so happy and busy myself, I really don't understand why my spinster friends keep telling me how desperate they are in trying to find a man to the extent that they do not mind being someone's secret mistress. A former colleague of mine used to say that she would marry any guy who would take her as his wife. She has a few houses and is always busy collecting rent. But she is really desperate. Once, I told her about a very irritating family friend and I thought she would agree that someone like him would never be able to get a wife. What is so wrong with this guy? Well, he doesn't like to work and is terribly stingy. Guess what she said? She asked me to introduce this guy to her.

When I told a former classmate of mine about this lazy and stingy guy, she too asked me to introduce him to her. She is rich herself and she doesn't mind supporting him. Then, there is this friend of mine who keeps saying that she's afraid that she would die alone in the house without anyone knowing about it. She is sad that she isn't married and has no children. She always says that she is very lonely. Even after spending hours watching television each day, she has a lot of time to spare and she doesn't know what to do with her spare time.

I feel sad for them because they don't understand the real meaning and purpose of existence. Is a man really that important to a woman? Can't she live without him? As for me, I don't have the time to feel lonely and think about dying alone in the house. Why worry when the Lord will take care of me? I have no fear of the future. Even if I have a boyfriend, I'll have no time for him. I would only be too glad if I could find time to write a good article for my blog. All I can say is: Spinsters, do not despair if you can't find a man. Love and sex are not what life is all about. Think of the Lord and his teachings. Everyone who has given up home, brothers or sisters, father or mother, wife or children or property for my sake will receive many times as much and inherit everlasting life - Matthew 19:29. A man is better off having no relations with a woman - 1 Corinthians 7:1. Think of our priests and nuns who willingly give up love and marriage in order to serve the Lord. These are the people who have found the real meaning and purpose of life. If they can do it, why can't you do it too? Do not sit and mourn just because you can't find a man in your life. Remember, there are lots of things that you can do for yourself and for this world.

I promised to consecrate my virginity to the Lord on Mount Krizevac and I have never regretted doing so. In fact I feel so proud of myself because my life has since found its meaning and purpose. What about this New Year? Would it be as meaningful as the previous years? I know that I will love this New Year too as much as I love the previous years. This is going to be another beautiful year for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment