The State of Virginity

The State of Virginity
I should like you to be free of all worries. The unmarried man is busy with the Lord's affairs, concerned with pleasing the Lord; but the married man is busy with this world's demands and occupied with pleasing his wife. This means he is divided. The virgin - indeed, any unmarried woman - is concerned with things of the Lord, in pursuit of holiness in body and spirit. The married woman, on the other hand, has the cares of this world to absorb her and concerned with pleasing her husband. I am going into this with you for your own good. I have no desire to place restrictions on you, but I do want to promote what is good, what will help you to devote yourselves entirely to the Lord. 1 Corinthians 7:32-35

Monday, March 15, 2010

I HAVE LIVED BY THIS SENTENCE BY DR. JOSEPH R. SIZOO

Years ago, in a day of uncertainty and disillusionment, when my whole life seemed to be overwhelmed by forces beyond my control, one morning quite casually I opened my New Testament and my eyes fell upon this sentence, "He that sent me is with me - the Father hath not left me alone." My life has never been the same since that hour. Everything for me has been forever different after that. I suppose that not a day has passed that I have not repeated it to myself. Many have come to me for counseling during these years, and I have always sent them away with this sustaining sentence. I have walked with it and I have found in it my peace and strength. To me it is the very essence of religion. It lies at the rock bottom of everything that makes life worth living. It is the Golden Text of my life.

By Dr. Joseph R. Sizoo
President, New Brunswick Theological Seminary
New Brunswick, New Jersey - the oldest seminary in the United States, founded in 1874.


FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND
One night a man had a dream. He
dreamed he was walking along
the beach with the LORD. Across
the sky flashed scenes from his
life. For each scene he noticed
two sets of footprints in the sand.
One belonging to him and the
other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life
flashed before him, he looked
back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along
the path of his life there was only
one set of footprints. He also
noticed that it happened at the
very lowest and saddest times of
his life.

This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it.
LORD you said that once I
decided to follow you, you'd walk
with me all the way. But I have
noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I
needed you most you would
leave me.

The Lord replied, my precious,
precious child, I love you and I
would never leave you! During
your times of trial and suffering
when you see only one set of
footprints, it was then that I
carried you.

Psalm 46:2-4
God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in distress. Therefore we fear not, though the earth be shaken and mountains plunge into the depths of the sea;Though its waters rage and foam and the mountains quake at its surging. The LORD of hosts is with us; our stronghold is the God of Jacob.

No comments:

Post a Comment