Saturday, October 3, 2009

FATHER DR. SLAVKO BARBARIC, THE SAINT OF MEDJUGORJE

Father Dr. Slavko Barbaric

The above photo is the best photo of Father Slavko Barbaric that I could find in Medjugorje. I got this photo framed and it is now on my computer table. Although I have never met Father Slavko when he was alive, I will always remember him as one of the greatest heroes that ever lived. His dedication to his duties as a devoted Catholic priest would never be forgotten. And to be very frank, I really envy those who got the chance to meet him and to be with him in Medjugorje when he was still alive. When I went to Medjugorje in the year 2007, Father Slavko was already dead for seven years. If only I had been there seven years earlier... If only I could get the chance to help Father Slavko with his work... Oh, it seems that I am daydreaming again!

Who is Father Slavko Barbaric? Well, I'll write a short biography of him here. He was born on 11 March 1946 in Cerin, a town located in the municipality of Citluk, Bosnia and Herzegovina. His parents were Marko and Luca Barbaric. The young Slavko attended primary school in Cerin and high school in Dubrovnik. He joined the Franciscan order at the age of 19 on 14 July 1965 in Humac, a hamlet on the island of Hvar, Croatia. He professed his final vows on 17 September 1971 and was ordained a Franciscan priest on 19 December 1971 in Reutte, Austria. Father Slavko studied theology in Visoko, Sarajevo, Graz and Freiburg. In 1973, he obtained his master's degree in pastoral theology at the University of Graz, in the capital city of Styria, Austria. From 1973 to 1978, he was in Capljina. After 5 years of pastoral service in Capljina, he continued his studies in Freiburg in 1978. He obtained his degree Doctor of Philosophy in religious pedagogy (with the title of psychotherapist) at the University of Freiburg, Germany, in 1982. 

Father Slavko could speak many European languages and was fluent in Croatian, English, German, French and Spanish. He was officially transferred to Medjugorje in 1983 and became the spiritual director of the visionaries until his death in 2000. During his service in Medugorje, he was deeply involved with the visionaries and the apparitions and has always been a source of inspiration to the pilgrims. He has written many books about the messages of Medjugorje that have been translated into more than 20 languages and published numerous articles in various journals. He was the editor of the Bulletin of Saint Francis in Capljina. He also wrote for Glas Mira, the first official magazine  in Medjugorje, and Krsni Zavicaj, a local Catholic paper, and worked with Radio Station "Mir" Medjugorje. He organized conferences, seminars and annual meetings for priests, pilgrims and youths. He had travelled to many parts of the world to spread the messages of Our Lady of Medjugorje. He founded Mother's Village, a refuge for war orphans, children from broken homes, single moms and the elderly abandoned by family members. His expertise in psychotherapy also enabled him to help those who were addicted to drugs and / or alcohol in the Cenacolo Community.

The Resurrection Station on Mount Krizevac

When Father Slavko was still alive, he faithfully celebrated The Way of the Cross and led the parishioners and pilgrims to the top of Mount Krizevac every Friday. At 2.00 pm on 24 November 2000, he celebrated the Way of the Cross on Krizevac Mountain with about 70 parishioners / pilgrims. It has been drizzling all afternoon but when they reached the mountain top, the drizzle had stopped and they could see a beautiful rainbow near St. James Church.  As they were descending Mount Krizevac, Father Slavko stopped near the Resurrection Station and blessed all those who had celebrated the Way of the Cross with him that day. He sat upon a rock and then lay on the ground - that was where he lost consciousness and died of a heart attack.

The Spot Where Fr. Slavko Barbaric Died

In his short life span of 54 years, he has done a lot for Medjugorje and for the Catholic Church. He was a holy man who spent every moment of his life serving God and His people. He did not live for himself but for all of us because there was Jesus at the center of his life. He had left everything to serve the faithful and given us his own life as he walked in the footsteps of Jesus. Truly, he is one of the greatest heroes of our time and I thank God for giving us this great hero. I will always adore, respect and honour him as long as I live. To me, he is a saint - the saint of Medjugorje whom God has chosen to be his treasured possession. Each time I think of him, I feel very proud of the Catholic priesthood. Sometimes I light candles for him. Whenever I say the Croatian Rosary, I will look at Father Slavko's photo and ask him to join me in my rosary prayers. One of the reasons why I like to say the Croatian Rosary is because it reminds me of Father Slavko. And I am proud to say that I can say the Croatian Rosary very well now.

Priesthood is a precious gift from God won at the price of Christ's blood. It is not a career but a calling. The vocation to the priesthood is a personal calling from God on His chosen ones. And who are these chosen ones? Those who willingly give themselves completely to God and His people. Those who willingly devote all their time to Christ as His instrument of salvation. Father Slavko had willingly given himself completely to God and humanity and devoted all his time to continue the ministry of Christ. And that's why I am writing about him here - I want the whole world to know about our priest hero and the saint of Medjugorje. Those who know him would not deny the fact that he was an alter Christus, which means another Christ in Latin.

To view the content page of this blog, please click here. You many also like to read: 

Reference:
Dr. Fr. Slavko Barbaric, OFM, in Memoriam @ www.medjugorje.hr.


2 comments:

  1. I MET HIM AND I AGREE WITH YOU I hope he become A Saint he will help so many people

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love to visit his grave when I go to Medjugorje...such a peaceful and serene place.

    ReplyDelete